While it’s true that the elderly, young children and those with pre-existing conditions are more susceptible to the summer heat, it doesn’t take long for the sun to take its toll on healthy individuals.
Here are 10 tips that can help you beat the heat this summer:
- Keep your shades drawn or blinds closed during the day to help prevent the sun from heating the inside of your home as much as possible. Turn a fan on early in the morning to help keep the cooler air circulating.
- Dust off your fans, replace your air filters, and clean ducts before the summer starts. The last thing you want is to be sending dust particles, dirt and other allergens into the air. Proper maintenance can also help prevent breakage.
- If the outside temperature goes above 78 degrees Fahrenheit, close your windows and shut your doors so that hot air doesn’t enter your home or office. When you turn on the A/C, use a programmable thermostat to help monitor the indoor temperature so you stay cool but keep your expenses down.
- After the sun sets, open your windows or use a window fan to cool your home down by bringing some of the cooler outside air into your house.
- Switch your fluorescent light bulbs with more eco-friendly LED light bulbs. LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, are not only energy-efficient but they do not emit heat at the level of other bulbs.
- Keep your body hydrated. One of the mistakes many people make is not drinking enough water when they are in the pool or at the beach. Drinking sodas or sports drinks will not provide you with the same level of hydration as water. In many cases, these drinks can cause you to become more dehydrated.
- There are many foods that have a high water content that are good to eat during the summer months, such as fruits and salads. Eat light and healthy foods during the summer months. Eating heavy foods during the summer can make you feel sluggish, and as your body is not burning calories to stay warm as it does in the winter, you can gain unnecessary weight.
- Avoid using your oven or stove during the hottest times of the day. Summer months are a wonderful time to cook your food outside on the grill. If you do not have a BBQ or grill, or the weather does not permit, using your microwave rather than stovetop can help to keep your home cooler.
- In hot weather, your body will be able to cool much faster if you wear light cotton clothing. Wearing open sandals, putting on shorts and opting for a t-shirt or other light-colored shirt or top are all ways in which to help keep your body cooler and healthier.
- Limit the amount of time you spend out in the sun. When you do go outside, wear sunblock to protect your skin.
Too much heat can lead to serious illnesses. While there is no way to predict what the future will bring, our health and life insurance agents at Agency Final Expense Solutions (AFES) can offer you peace of mind in knowing that your medical care and benefits will be covered in a heat-related illness or condition, and that your family is protected should you suddenly pass away. Estate planning is always a good idea, but one aspect that is often ignored is securing adequate life insurance.
Your family can access the funds from life insurance far more quickly than what you leave in your estate, and life insurance benefits are not taxed. Protect those you love from unnecessary financial stress with life insurance coverage, either term or whole life. Agency Final Expense Solutions (AFES) is a local agency that can offer health and life coverage to residents in Big Stone Gap, as well as individuals throughout the state of Virginia.
We realize life is busy, and purchasing health or life insurance is not always at the top of a person’s list of things to do. Each of our agents live and work locally, so we are available to assist you at a time that is best for you and your schedule. If you have questions about your existing policy or you are interested in learning about the different types of coverage available to you, we can help. Our ultimate objective is to find you the most comprehensive coverage at the lowest out-of-pocket cost. Do not let the summer heat get you down. Get help from one of our friendly Big Stone Gap agents at Agency Final Expense Solutions (AFES) to get help with health and life insurance questions and concerns.Filed Under: Health | Tagged With: Insurance Agent, Kentucky, Shelbyville